Sunday, July 27, 2008

Surely I'm not the only one!?

Do you perhaps have a list of things (activities, hobbies, etc.) that you want to do, have all the resources to do, and yet have not done them?

Ugh, surely I am not the only one. :)

I wish I was one of those people who wanted to do something, started researching it and reading about it and then just made it happen for them. However, I'm one of those people that gets an idea in my mind, researches it and reads partially about it and then...stops.

For example: Sewing. In high school I had decided that since I'm so tall and pants are so hard to find that I would be a lot better off if I just made my own. So I told my mom, found a sewing class and went out and bought all the supplies. And...after making my first skirt, I quit the class. All my supplies were put away and hardly to be touched again. Years later, my mom surprises me one Christmas with a sewing machine. I was so excited! I started reading up on how to sew, right away (since everything I had learned in the class 8 years earlier was completely void from my brain). I made a pillow or two...and put the sewing machine away...hardly to be touched again. Years go by, and again all my knowledge for the most part has escaped my cranium.

The old saying "If you don't use it, you lose it!" proves so true with me.

Well, here I am again, looking at sewing patterns in the stores and dreaming of making the perfect sun dress or pair of pants. This time I just so happen to be with my friend B in the store and he said "You've got to push yourself Tara! You just have to make yourself do it! Just like exercise." Aww yes, exercise...that other activity I have all the resources for and yet am not doing...

It's not rocket science. I know B is right. So why am I procrastinating?

I think I just get bored easily and have to constantly be challenged and entertained. If I'm not...I move on. Which is bad. I have never been one of those people who sought out a hobby or interest and learned the gratification of seeing it through.

I'm currently taking an art class at a local art college. I originally signed up because I was sooo interested in the subject and was determined to learn it. My first few classes were amazing. I was so on fire for it. I was ecstatic. Four classes and $215 later however, and I struggle every week just convincing myself to go. It drives me nuts. I hate that I am like this. The good thing is though that I only missed one class and am still pushing through. So maybe I'll actually see this one through to the finish, which is August 7. Then I can add that to the short list of things I've stuck with until the finish, high school and art class. Ha!

Anyway, all this is to say that I have a few things on my list that I am completely capable of doing, want to do, and yet just haven't done them. I hope this changes soon. It would be really nice to show you all one day the cool sun dress I made all by myself. :)

So what's on your list?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few things...I think I have 800 things on my list...save me.

Tracy said...

God I am right there with you! If I think about it too much I get really really depressed. The kind where you find yourself so lost you don't know what you're doing anymore. I tend to have so many ideas and interests that I can't make up my mind, therefore I don't do anything.

Kudos to you with your class! I know you'll make it-

Anonymous said...

This made me think of you. My friend is a regular reader of Apartment Therapy (as I know you are). She is also an avid crafter...while looking at AT she saw one of her crafts mentioned. Here's the link: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/beds-mattresses/look-prettybirdpresss-headboard-057827

Adina