Saturday, February 23, 2008

turning pages

So after my last post, some might have thought I was encouraging becoming vegetarian or vegan. For the record, I am neither. The book was great, and I still recommend it. However, all I promote is being healthy. And that means different things to different people, which is cool with me. I admit, after reading the book, I thought about becoming vegan, but as Andrea says, it's too 'hardcore'. :)

The good news is that I have been making better food choices. I've been to the grocery twice since and have bought only organic. My checkbook isn't smiling, but my peace of mind is. :)

Tip from Jenny R. (a friend and co-worker): If drinking water alone is boring and you like to jazz it up with a slice of lemon or two, a cheaper alternative is to get a bottle of organic lemon juice. It's cheaper, last longer and less of a mess! (Of course you can do this with lime too.)

Thanks to Jenny's ingenious, I've been drinking my tasty lemon water like its beer. I sure hate those long walks to the company bathroom every 10 minutes though. :)

So it's Saturday and I spent 2 1/2 hours at the bookstore on a high. I've said it before but I love bookstores. It's like one of my favorite places to be. Unfortunately, I have to exhibit self-control and not walk out with a bag full of books and a dent in my bank account. I also know that the sad thing is that I have so many books at home that I still haven't read and yet I keep getting sucked in to buy more.

Tonight I picked up several sewing books. A goal of mine is to start making my own clothes. I have the sewing machine, just don't have the 'know-how'. And I'm not going to learn through osmosis, so I might as well start trying to teach myself. I looked at several and I really liked Sew U by Wendy Mullin of 'Built by Wendy'. However, I decided not to fork over the $25 and instead spend some time researching on the net to see what books others really recommend for beginners. So, yeah...I'll be doing a lot of that in the next week. If you have a recommendation, please let me know.

What I did end up forking my money over for, however, was this book:
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have heard a lot of great things about this book and I even noticed myself getting lost in it when I started to read the first chapter, so I had to get it. Even the lady at the cash register said she loved the book, so I'm excited to dive in.

So tell me, what books have you been reading lately?

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Let me know how you like 'Eat Pray Love' as ive heard so much about it but have not yet read it myself. Unfortunately, the last book I read was a horrible James Patterson novel that lacked any depth at all. I was honestly offended that Patterson assumed his audience lacked the intelligence for a deeper storyline. Anyway, before that I read the latest Jodi Picoult, which was still good but yet again does not surpass my favorite-The Pact. And finally before that I did complete 'How to Kill a Mockingbird', which I figured i should read, you know, being an important piece of American literature and all. And I will say its deserving of such praise.